Lawyers traditionally assume office as a trustee for private clients and for charities. However, this role has become more complex and trustees are increasingly exposed to a greater degree of legal risk. That arises through more litigious beneficiaries and the increasing complexity of the trustee role.
This webinar will discuss the role of the trustee with a focus on explaining how to fulfil this role and meet obligations while minimising the inherent risks, particularly in respect of professional liability issues. The aim is to provide a webinar that is grounded in legal principles but gives practical advice.
Topics covered will include:
- The personal liability that trustees face
- How to mitigate personal liability by using a corporate trustee and what complications can arise
- What risks can be insured against and what the implications of insurance are
- Limitation of liability and indemnification
- Enforcing a professional trustee’s equitable lien in practice.
By attending this webinar you will be able to:
- Gain a better understanding of the professional/ personal liability issues and how to mitigate them.
Who should attend
All lawyers who have assumed office as, or are considering assuming, the role of trustee for private clients and charities.
Book / Technical Specs
A background book written by the presenters is now available in hard copy, PDF, or both. Please indicate your choice upon registration.
- Hard Copy - Your book will be posted to you - no extra charge
- PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event - no extra charge
- Both Hard Copy & PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event, and posted the hard copy book - additional $30 charge
For information on what is required to participate in the webinar, click here
- Vicki Ammundsen, Vicki Ammundsen Trust Law, Auckland
- Jeremy Johnson, Wynn Williams, Christchurch and Auckland
Fee (Incl GST)
Do you want to register more than one person for this course? Click here
- Webinar - 11.00am - 12.30pm
- Registration closes - 3.00pm, Tuesday 25 September 2018
View PDF brochure and registration form here.
Attendance at the live webinar
Registration but non-attendance on the day
- If you attended the live webinar, you will receive an electronic certificate of attendance as verification for your CPD records.
- You can view and hear the presentation again, as many times as you wish in your own time for no additional cost.
- Under the CPD Scheme only those who attend a live webinar are eligible to claim CPD hours.
- If you registered but were unable to attend on the day, you can view and hear the archived recording of the presentation.
Cancellation and refund policy
Since the webinar is available to registrants as an archive after the live presentation, there is no cancellation – we just transfer your user status as a registrant from the live presentation to a purchaser of the webinar package of recorded webinar, PowerPoints and booklet.