The AML/CFT Act may require lawyers to gather financial data and report certain transactions and activities to the Financial Intelligence Unit of the NZ Police. However, these obligations are difficult to reconcile with traditional duties of confidentiality and legal professional privilege. These are complex and difficult issues which are already exercising the profession.
The presenters will explain the legal requirements and provide some practical guidance to help lawyers discharge their obligations under the AML/CFT Act and to their clients.
Topics covered will include:
- Suspicious activity reports
- Wire transfers
- Duties of confidentiality and privilege
- Practical due diligence issues for the legal profession in the first 3 months.
After this webinar you will be able to:
- Better understand the requirements to report to the FIU and your duties of confidentiality and privilege to your clients.
Who should attend
Book / Technical Specs
A background book written by the presenters is now available in hard copy, PDF, or both. Please indicate your choice upon registration.
- Hard Copy - Your book will be posted to you - no extra charge
- PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event - no extra charge
- Both Hard Copy & PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event, and posted the hard copy book - additional $30 charge
- For information on what is required to participate in the webinar, click here.
- Henry Brandts-Giesen, Partner, Kensington Swan, Auckland
- Neil Russ, Partner, Buddle Findlay, Auckland
Fee (Incl GST)
Do you want to register more than one person for this course? Click here
- Webinar - 11.00am - 12.30pm
- Registration closes - 3.00pm, Monday 10 September 2018
View PDF brochure and registration form here.
Attendance at the live webinar
Registration but non-attendance on the day
- If you attended the live webinar, you will receive an electronic certificate of attendance as verification for your CPD records.
- You can view and hear the presentation again, as many times as you wish in your own time for no additional cost.
- Under the CPD Scheme only those who attend a live webinar are eligible to claim CPD hours.
- If you registered but were unable to attend on the day, you can view and hear the archived recording of the presentation.
Cancellation and refund policy
Since the webinar is available to registrants as an archive after the live presentation, there is no cancellation – we just transfer your user status as a registrant from the live presentation to a purchaser of the webinar package of recorded webinar, PowerPoints and booklet.