This practical two-day “transaction” based workshop will equip you with the knowledge and understanding to deal with the purchase, establishment, operation and sale of a business.
- Acquiring a business – Understanding the process: initial client interview and purchasing a business to development and implementation of an appropriate structure that meets a client’s needs.
- Funding – Practical considerations and processes involved in common financing arrangements.
- Governance – Practical considerations of common key governance and administration issues.
- Distributions – Identifying the different types of distributions and dealing with common issues arising in connection with returning funds to shareholders.
- Expansion – The issues involved in introducing new owners to the business, and regulating the relationships between shareholders by agreement.
- Shareholder disputes – Your role in assisting clients to resolve disputes among shareholders.
- Financial trouble – Advising companies and directors in situations of financial difficulty and responding to the demands of creditors.
- Sale of shares – The process of, and common issues arising in connection with, sales of company shares.
- Role of the lawyer – Understanding your role in advising business clients; identifying and responding to situations where conflicts of interest may arise.
You will be equipped with the knowledge and understanding to deal with the purchase, establishment, operation and sale of a business.
This workshop will include mini-lectures, group discussions, questionnaires, role plays, planning and drafting exercises, preparing checklists, and brainstorming sessions.
Who should attend
Recently admitted practitioners in their first three years’ of practice.
Participants will be sent a full set of materials in advance.
- Day 1: 8.30am - 5.15pm
- Day 2: 9.00am - 5.00pm
- Sinead Hart, Senior Associate, Wynn Williams, Auckland
- John Horner, Partner, Quigg Partners, Wellington
- Ben Johnston, Partner, Anderson Lloyd, Christchurch
- Raewyn Lovett ONZM, Duncan Cotterill, Auckland
- Fiona MacKinnon, Simmonds Stewart, Wellington
- Mark Odlin, Buddle Findlay, Christchurch
- Graeme Switzer, Duncan Cotterill, Auckland
- Daniel Wong, Flacks & Wong Ltd, Auckland
Fee (incl GST)
- $695 - NZLS members and Associate members
- $755 - Non-members
Do you want to register more than one person for this course? Click here
Download PDF brochure and registration form here.
||7 - 8 March
||15 - 16 March
||19 - 20 March
Cancellation and refund policy
Please note: Minimum and maximum numbers apply. Registrations will be accepted on a first-come/first-served basis. Registrations close 10 working days before the presentation date (the closing date). NZLS CLE Ltd reserves the right to cancel any session that does not reach the budgeted minimum number of registrations. This decision will be made on the closing date and a full refund will be made to each registrant of the cancelled session. If you cancel your registration before the closing date, a refund will be made, less a $100 administration fee. After the closing date, there will be no refund. You may transfer your registration until five working days before the presentation. Please advise NZLS CLE Ltd in writing of the change.
Developed with the support of: