Understanding the obligations to the workforce when buying or selling a business is essential in helping to ensure a smooth transition from one owner to another. Following on from a session at the Auckland CPD Top-Up Day in February 2018, this seminar will look at some of the key considerations for businesses in a sale or purchase regarding the workforce. This will include; understanding the employment relationships, issues regarding vulnerable employees, consulting with employees, and redundancy entitlements.
This seminar will include:
- A practical guide of issues to look out for when negotiating the buying or selling of a business; including:
- record keeping requirements
- requirements regarding employment agreements and record keeping – what can, can’t and should be done
- identifying potential Holidays Act issues
- understanding availability provisions
- decisions around the current workforce (ie retention and redundancy considerations)
- A discussion of the sale documentation process and the due diligence required during this process; including:
- considerations during the buying process, including warranties and indemnities
- what to do when vulnerable employees are involved
- Health & Safety obligations
- A brief outline of the amendments to the Employment Relations Act 2000.
After attending this seminar you will gain:
- Knowledge of employment implications to look out for when negotiating the buying or selling of a business.
- Practical tips on the sales documentation process and how to get this right first time.
Who should attend
Commercial lawyers, Junior Employment lawyers, General practitioners, any lawyers that act on sales and purchases of businesses.
A short paper, in PDF format, together with a copy of the powerpoint presentation will be emailed out prior to the seminar.
- 4.00pm - 6.00pm (tea and coffee available on arrival)
Fee (incl GST)
- $115 - NZLS members and Associate members
- $165 - Non-members
Do you want to register more than one person for this course? Click here
Download registration form
|Live Web Stream
Senior Associate, MinterEllisonRuddWatts, Auckland
June is a Senior Associate in the employment law team at MinterEllisonRuddWatts and has broad experience in all aspects of New Zealand employment law. She regularly advises clients on executive appointments and terminations; restraints of trade and protection of confidential information; restructuring, redundancy and outsourcing programmes for both private and listed companies; as well as industrial relations and collective bargaining matters, and litigation of such disputes.
Simon is a barrister based in Auckland. He specialises in acting for unions and employees with a special interest in bargaining issues.
Cancellation and refund policy
If written notice of cancellation of a registration arrives before the day of the seminar we will refund the registration fee, less an administration fee of $40. If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute - to correctly assign CPD credit, CLE must be notified in advance. NZLS CLE Ltd reserves the right to cancel or reschedule seminars if necessary.