Why is Life Education Important?
In 2008 NZCER conducted a study of the Life Education programme. Their findings were:
- It supports students to develop life skills
- It encourages students to make healthy choices
- Students gain knowledge about health and their bodies
- Students develop self esteem and a positive understanding of themselves
- Students develop strategies for relating to others
The Life Education Philosophy underpins everything that we do and forms the basis of the Life Education Programme. Our three philosophical principles are:
- You are unique – we aim to make each child comfortable with their identity. In the whole world there will never be another you. You are unique, you are special. It's OK to have freckles, be tall or short, have big ears or nose, different coloured skin or hair. We keep reinforcing to little children "you are very special".
- The human body is magnificent –we show children the magnificence of the human body – its sensory, circulatory and digestive systems, showing how the body functions and what its needs are – food, oxygen and water. We illustrate how the earth provides these needs and teach how we should protect our internal and external environments.
- We need to support and respect each other – because of the delicate and complex nature of life itself, we need to support and respect each other and every other person, regardless of sex, race, religion or beliefs.
What we offer your school
- Experienced, registered teachers who have undergone additional training for this specialist role
- A flexible resource that supports teachers in delivering the health curriculum to their children
- A unique and engaging learning environment - our mobile classrooms come to your school
- Life Education offers up-to-date and topical content
- A quality, highly motivating and engaging programme that is flexible to the individual needs of the school and children
- Attendance at staff meetings
- Parent meetings to engage with wider school community and support health initiatives
- PD opportunities for teaching staff
- A community based resource that reflects the needs of your community
Feedback from schools
"Students loved going into the caravan. Tied in with syndicate focus. Focus could be carried over and reinforced in the classroom."
"You are doing an excellent job, thank you for your time and energy AND positivity. Not easy with 29 Y8 students! Perfect topic and very much what they need."
"Always worthwhile and looked forward to. Good for repetition of ideas and going on from them over the years."
"A great programme. Just keep coming back."
"You establish respectful relationships with the children – they feel special. You integrate yourself into our staffoom well. You are a fantastic resource!"
"Our children love the visit, they believe in the magic of the classroom and their understanding is enhanced by the teaching aids and the interactive nature of the lesson."
Feedback about our Educators
Beth was buzzing after she left your caravan. The way you impart information to the kids so they remember is absolutely wonderful. We haven't got on to the web site yet, Beth is completing her 'Heart Central' booklet first. She came home and made a paper doll and put labels on the body parts she had learned on Friday, added the veins and arteries. She is now our Health Advisor in the Family!!!
From this trip, Beth is going to do a lesson on Life Education once a week. Thanks for fitting her in.
Only this morning Hermione said to me "Harold said that I was unique and so is the person next to me.” She also came home with a sticker from Harold which she wanted to wear today.
Those of us who are parents all know how our children love the visit from Harold when the Life Education Classroom comes to their school. Each year, my husband and I get a different snippet of the highlights. At the last visit, learning about the effects of smoking made a particular impression on my 10-year-old daughter (she mentioned how pleased she was neither of us smoke because, she said, it's "just unbelievably disgusting, and did you know....").
I took part in the parent session in the life mobile classroom on Wednesday. I just wanted to say I was so impressed with you and the messages you are teaching. I think it's so valuable for children to learn about themselves and how to be healthy in mind, body and spirit. I think you were lovely! The children must really respond well to you.
My daughter talked a blue streak about her experience with you. Particularly about the human model and about how our bones make up a skeleton!
Coming into the classroom brought back many memories for me. I remember having it at our school and always enjoyed taking part. Also thank you for your email and newsletter.
“My granddaughter couldn’t stop talking about Harold and her visit to the bus – your service is amazing. I will access your website. Thank you again!”
Both my girls, Pippa (Y2), & Izzy (Y1), have LOVED your sessions, have acted out your songs, repeated phrases, & chatted away positively in the bath to each other tonight about their experiences on your 'bus'!
The time you have spent with them, appears to have made a real impression and by their comments, they have really understood and grasped the content and messages of the sessions.
I'd like to think Life Education is reinforcing the values we share as a family, but firmly believe your fun, novel and patient approach will speak volumes to them, where we may, at times, fall! Thank you.